Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Life as a Young Professional in the Supply Chain


Jennifer Schilling, Operations Research Engineer. Eternal Optimist. Data and Analytics Lover. Happiness Hoarder. People Connector. Knowledge Collector.
As I worked towards my Bachelor's degree in Applied Math with a minor in Computer Science and even as I completed my Master's in Computational Operations Research, I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do when I graduated. Every summer I held a different internship position, and through those experiences I had the opportunity to explore work in a variety of environments and fields - at a university-affiliated research lab, a large government agency, and a large multi-national corporation; in the areas of space science, computer and network security, defense department research, food security, and supply chain. Last week marked the completion of my first year of full-time employment at the company with which I had my final internship, and I'm happy to say I've found work that is fulfilling, challenging, and interesting.

I work as an Operations Research Engineer in the supply chain. Every day I get to help others in my organization better understand and use their data by providing them with models and analytics to make the supply chain run more optimally and efficiently. Supply chain is a field that I'd never even thought about before I had my internship in summer 2012, but it's now a field that I find fascinating. The supply chain is an absolutely vital part of any business, and I love learning about logistics, transportation, procurement, and manufacturing. In my early career, I have developed a great interest in business, supply chain, and analytics.

As a woman in the business world and the engineering world, I am excited for the many opportunities that lie ahead. It is inspiring to see such a focus on women in business with movements such as Lean InTake the Lead, and Levo League. There are so many tools out there specifically for young women professionals to help with career development and guidance! Especially since I fell into the business world after experiencing university and government funded research work, I feel very fortunate to have so many easily accessible resources for guidance in navigating the business environment. In addition to online communities and resources, I've also actively sought out female mentors at my company, both formally and informally. As a young professional, I make everyone I meet a "mentor" in the sense that I try to learn from them and gain something from their experience. Every person I meet has something to teach me, and I try to keep that in mind during my day-to-day tasks and routines. Constantly learning from those around me is something I plan to keep in mind even as I move beyond the "young professional" status.

Are you a young professional? What has your experience been like? What tips do you have for others?

No comments:

Post a Comment